Frequently asked Questions:I'm thinking of learning to fly helicopters or airplanes. How do I start?Call me to arrange a meeting and we will plan a course of action that will help you meet your goals.  I recommend taking an introductory flight.  We offer intro flights starting at just $89.

I currently have a full-time job and a family.  Do I have time to become a pilot?Absolutely.  Most of our students have a full-time job.  We conduct flight training and ground school seven days a week and we will work around your schedule.

I'm not sure I want to fly. Can I take an introductory flight?Yes, you can. Time will be spent with one of our professional certified flight instructors before the flight and you will learn the basics of the flight controls. Then you will begin the flight portion of your lesson where YOU will get to fly the aircraft.
Do I have to have my airplane pilot's certificate (license) before I start helicopter training?No, you do not. Helicopters (rotorcraft) and Airplanes (fixed-wing) are considered two different categories by the FAA. Therefore, you do not need any fixed-wing experience to start training.
How old do I have to be to get my pilot's certificate (license)?A student pilot's certificate can be issued at age 16, allowing you to fly the aircraft solo without an instructor. Meanwhile, you can continue training towards a private pilot certificate. At age 17 you are eligible for a private pilot certificate.
I'm all ready to go. What should I bring for my first flight? You will need to bring a passport or U.S. birth certificate along with a photo ID. Everything else will be provided for you.
Is there a lot of ground study required? Yes, you will have to use books. Becoming a pilot involves more than just flying. You will learn about weather, aerodynamics, FAA regulations, airspace, and so on. In addition to studying on your own, you will receive one-on-one instruction with a qualified instructor.

What type of work is there for a commercial pilot?There are many jobs for helicopter pilots including jobs with which we all are familiar such as AIrlines, cargo transport, air ambulance/ EMS, scenic tours, electronic news gathering (TV helicopters), flight instruction, and corporate work. Other jobs you may never have thought of may be flying off shore to oil rigs, logging, pipeline patrol, aerial photography, and land surveying to name a few.

I think I want to get both my fixed-wing and rotorcraft rating. Which should I start first?You can start with the either the airplane or the helicopter.  Then you can do an "add-on" rating for the other.  The add-on rating requires less hours than starting from scratch.

What is a private pilot certificate, and what can I do with that?A private pilot is someone who became a pilot for personal reasons such as fun or travel. You will not be able to fly for compensation (i.e. money, cows, goats or pigs), but you will be able to take up family and friends. Depending on how often you fly you can receive a private rating in as little as five weeks (if you fly 10 hrs per week). I'm thinking of a career as a pilot. What do I have to do now?First you will have to achieve your private pilot rating. Then you will need to do additional ground & flight instruction for your instrument and commercial certificates. Your instrument rating teaches you how to fly "in the clouds" using only the cockpit instruments and no outside references. Your commercial rating will allow you to fly for compensation. Starting from zero pilot experience to earning your commercial rating can be accomplished in as little as four months. What next? I'm a low-time commercial pilot what can I do?The most probable step is to become a CFI (Certified Flight Instructor). Almost all non-military trained pilots were instructors at one point. CFI jobs are abundant all over the country, and they allow you to build time and experience while getting paid. 

What if I have some sort of medical issue?It depends on the medical issue and your goal (private, commercial, etc.), but it may not be a problem. Talk to your instructor; be up front. They will know where to find the answer.  Also, you will be required to get a medical checkout from an FAA certified aviation doctor. A current medical is required for solo flight during training. We encourage you to schedule a medical early on in your training. Your instructor will help set you up with a flight doctor for a medical checkout. I'm a citizen of another country. Can I take instruction in the United States?Yes, you can. You will just have to register with homeland security and obtain an M-1 Visa. The first step is to contact us, then go to, create a new student account and fill out the required paperwork. The process includes a TSA background check and fingerprinting. It usually takes 2-4 weeks to get TSA clearance for your training.  Be sure you call us first a minimum of 90 days in advance so we can guide you through the process and get you set up with the proper location. What financing options do I have? Your main options are: Wells Fargo, Pilot Finance, Utah Valley University, or a family member willing to sponsor. Give us a call with any and all questions: (702) 900-7798.  We have helped students through all these financing options and are familiar with them. 

Thanks for stopping by. Here is a useful website to check out: -

Please contact me with any questions: 
Matt Binner, Certified Flight Instructor / Owner
(702) 900-7798
HomeAbout UsContact Us and FAQs